2017 is fresh out the gates! But before we kick off a new year of Sugarsmith, let’s take a look at what happened in 2016. Every year I write an “annual report” to sum up key facts and stats. I started doing the same thing for Sugarsmith last year–except here, it’s all about baking. Since I keep a super detailed log of everything I bake, it’s pretty simple to pull the numbers.
In 2016, I baked 68 times, including 60 new recipes. When I looked back at my 2015 report, I was sort of shocked that I only baked 39 times in 2015. That’s a 74% increase year-over-year! I wondered when all this baking happened, so I took a closer look at the dates in my baking log. Sometimes I bake in spurts: for example, I made 7 recipes for my birthday. But usually, I make one recipe at a time. How did that add up to 68?
Well, up until August I made 33 recipes. From August-December, I made an additional 35. That means I seriously picked up the pace in those final 4 months. And it makes total sense: I switched jobs in August and stopped traveling for work. Of course! If I’m home more, I bake more.
My baking always skews to cookies and bars, because they’re easiest to transport and easiest to share. Every year I declare I’m going to make more breakfast and more cakes–but then it just doesn’t happen. Let’s hope for a step-change this year, at least.
I was surprised that my cakes trended toward non-chocolate flavors. But then I remembered those amazing strawberry cupcakes, and the stellar buttermilk cupcakes I still haven’t shared with you (sorry!). I’ll never say no to chocolate in a cake… but I definitely don’t need it, either.
Top Posts on Sugarsmith for 2016
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
- Tahini Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- Neighbor Bakehouse
- Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
- Cookie Butter Bars with Nutella Swirls
- Honorable Mention: Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookie Butter Blondies. This 2015 top recipe was also really popular in 2016!
My Personal 2016 Favorites
- Lemon Basil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Thin Mint-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rosemary-Infused Cake with Blackberry Preserves and Mascarpone Frosting
2016 Fun Facts
- Baking-related events I hosted: 3
- Times my log mentions bringing baked goods to a social event I was NOT hosting: 17
- Bags of chocolate chips currently in my cupboard: 10 (whoops)
- Recipes made where I stuffed one thing into another thing: 10
- Baking fails recorded in my log: 6 (that’s 9% of the recipes I made!)
- Favorite bloggers I got to interview: 1 (Molly Yeh, and it was awesome)
2017 Baking Resolutions
- Master my newly acquired springform pan (thanks, Jen!)
- Play with matcha as an ingredient
- Stop pantry loading specialty ingredients before I really need them (Only because I lack an actual pantry. If you have one, I strongly encourage pantry loading.)
Thanks for a wonderful year, dear readers!