Every January I write an annual report. I look at what I did, where I went and what I wrote. It’s a nice way to remember the good from the year before, and helps me look at how little moments in time add up.
I carried this tradition over to Sugarsmith a couple of years ago–because baking deserves reflection, too. I keep a detailed list of everything I bake, so it’s pretty easy to figure out patterns from the entire year. Here’s a look at my 2017 in baking:
What I made
I covered a nice mix of flavors in 2017. 54% of recipes contained chocolate, but chocolate wasn’t always the dominant flavor. When I took a closer look I found that fruity recipes led the pack, from Lemon Cookies to Lemon Cucumber Cake. I also made a lot of herb-y recipes, like Lavender Cookies and Strawberry Basil Cupcakes. I made way fewer pumpkin recipes than originally planned for the fall, but managed to get three in there! And clearly I didn’t make enough s’mores treats in 2017…though the one I DID make was pretty killer.
Who ate it?
I hosted 6 events in 2017, accounting for 20 recipes (58%). Another 14 recipes went to other people’s birthdays, housewarmings, etc. And the remaining 37% of my baked goods went with me to work. You’re welcome, coworkers!
What did people read?
I published 27 posts to Sugarsmith in 2017. I feel pretty good about that given that I split my time between blogs and also write for work. Of course, I have tons of unfinished drafts just waiting for me to finish them. I also don’t write about every single thing I bake. And I rarely post in chronological order. So even if you eat a lot of my treats…you can never really know what I’ll post next!
Top Posts on Sugarsmith for 2017
Clearly you guys like gooey butter cake and salty/sweet combos. Noted for 2018!
- Caramel-Stuffed Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Biscoff Gooey Butter Cake
- Gooey Chocolate Chip Fudge Bars
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
- Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookie Bars
Favorites That Didn’t Crack the Top 5
- Lavender White Chocolate Chip Cookies: Hands down one of my favorite recipes I’ve tried in recent years. I crave them on a regular basis!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip S’Mores Bars: Six layers of s’mores-inspired goodness.
- Mint Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies: Straightforward, simple and awesome.
- San Francisco Treat Map: I finally mapped my favorite SF spots for baked goods, ice cream and coffee!
Best *New* Things I ate in 2017
- Chestnut and Chili Thread Fettuccine at Rioja in Denver
- Creme Fraiche and Apple Crisp Gelato at Lush in San Francisco
- Everything at Los Poblanos outside of Albuquerque
- Hummus from Dizengoff in NYC
- Tahini French Toast from Bar Bolonat in NYC
- Fresh fish tacos at Captain Kidd’s in Redondo Beach
- Everything we ate at Al’s Place in San Francisco
As always, thanks for reading–I’ll be back with new recipes soon!