Sometimes I do things like bake basil into cupcakes. Other times…I just want something simple.
These bars are certainly simple, but they’re also incredibly good. Brown sugar makes for an excellent blondie base, and Mini M&Ms add a bit of chocolate to every bite. The M&Ms also add a nice burst of color—which is never a bad thing.
This is an easy recipe that comes together quickly, but you’ll want to allow for a couple of hours of chill time. That helps the bars firm up and locks in the flavor so you get the best blondie possible. I won’t tell anyone if you sneak some extra M&Ms while you wait for the bars to cool…
Original recipe: Inside BruCrew Life. I’ve rewritten things a bit and added commentary.
Yield: 30 bars
Suggested equipment: Mixer
Total Time: 3 hours (includes a couple of hours for the bars to fully cool and firm up)
Cook Time: ~22 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups Mini M&Ms
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together until they’re creamy
- Add the eggs and vanilla, then beat the mixture again
- Sift together your salt, baking powder and flour
- Slowly beat your dry ingredients into the butter mixture
- Measure out a cup of the M&Ms, and mix them into the batter by hand
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray
- Pour your batter into the dish
- Sprinkle your remaining M&Ms over the top of the batter
- Bake 22-24 minutes. They’ll look a little under-done when you pull them out, but will firm up as they cool
- Let the bars cool for a couple hours, then cut them into squares. Bars keep well in a covered container.